Owned by the same family for more than a century,
Barbetta was opened
in 1906 by Sebastiano Maioglio and is now owened by his daughter.
Barbetta is the oldest restaurant in New York that is still owned and
operated by it's founding family.
John's of 12th
302 East 12th st.
Open since 1908, this classic Italian restaurant
looks and feels as if
it hasn't changed much since the early days, with its well-worn
original tile floors, red leather banquettes and a candle that has been
burning and collecting ever-expanding drippings since 1937.
205 East Houston St (Ludlow Street)
The oldest delicatessen in New York City (established 1888), Katz's is
also the only place in town that still carves all its pastrami and
corned beef by hand—and it makes a huge difference. The ritual of
interacting with the countermen is one of the great New York
experiences. One table in the middle of the dining room bears an
inconspicuous paper sign taped to its surface: "You are sitting at the
table where Harry met Sally." — Steven A. Shaw
Read more: Katz's Delicatessen - Lower East
Side - New York Magazine
During World War II, Katz's encouraged parents to "send a salami to
your boy in the army" which became one of the deli's famous catch
phrases,along with "Katz's, that's all!" which is still painted on the
side of the building. The former phrase is referenced in the Tom Lehrer
song "So Long Mom (A Song for World War III)", with the lyric "Remember
Mommy, I'm off to get a commie, so send me a salami, and try to smile
Katz's continues its "Send a salami to your boy in the army" to this
day. The deli has arranged special international shipping only for U.S.
military addresses and has been a source of gift packages to the troops
stationed in Afghanistan and Iraq.
168 First Ave—(10th and11th
store-front Italian restaurant since 1904,
still with the original pressed-tin ceiling, hand-painted walls, and an
open kitchen where you can see dinner cooking.
Locals have been eating
488 Ninth Ave—(37th
This Manangaro family opened a wine and liquor store here in 1893
called Petrucci's but when Prohibition closed it down, a nephew named
James moved his simple Italian groceria to this location and the name
was changed to Manganaro's. The place today is still very much the same
as it was then.
Loyal customers line up, cafeteria style, to order their authentic
Italian specialty food.
837 Second Avenue—80 years at
Restaurant's flagship location. In 1926
Italian immigrants Pio Bozzi and John Ganzi opened the first Palm
A defining feature of the restaurant has been the tradition of
caricatures covering the walls. Those depicted in the murals are
celebrities, famous politicians, as well as prominent sports and media
The caricature tradition began as a twist on the phrase "sing for your
meal" where an artist who enjoyed the fare would pay for his meal by
drawing a portrait on the wall. Celebrities have often left autographs
next to their portraits.
455 East 114th St
Charles Rao purchased a corner saloon here in 1896.
After Charles' death in 1909, his brother Joseph took over and he kept
the bar open through the years of Prohibition when wine, made by a
neighbor, was pumped into Roa's thruogh a hose.
After Repeal, the family turned the bar into a restaurant and it has
outlasted all it's neighbors.
It is difficult to get a seat here because each of the eight tables is
booked into perpetuity by the restaurant's regulars.
Roa's bottled sauces, roasted peppers, and line of artisanal pastas are
sold throughout the country.
234 West 44th Street
Known for the hundreds of caricatures of
show-business celebrities that
adorn its walls, Sardi's opened at its current location on March 5,
Vincent Sardi, Sr. and his wife Eugenia ("Jenny") Pallera opened
their first eatery, The Little Restaurant, at 146 West 44th Street in
1921. When that building was slated for demolition in 1926, they
accepted an offer from the theater magnates, the Shubert brothers, to
relocate to a new building the brothers were erecting down the block.
The new restaurant, Sardi's, opened March 5, 1927.
When business slowed after the move, Vincent Sardi was looking for a
gimmick to attract customers. Recalling the movie-star caricatures that
decorated the walls of a Parisian restaurant and jazz club, Sardi
decided to recreate that effect in his establishment. He hired a
Russian refugee named Alex Gard to do drawings of Broadway celebrities.
Sardi and Gard drew up a contract that stated that Gard would make the
caricatures in exchange for one meal per day at the restaurant. When
Sardi’s son, Vincent Sardi, Jr., took over restaurant operations in
1947, he offered to change the terms of Gard's agreement. Gard refused
and continued to draw the caricatures in exchange for meals until his
The restaurant became known as a pre– and post–theater hang-out, as
well as a location for opening night parties. Vincent Sardi, a theater
lover, kept the restaurant open much later than others in the area to
accommodate the schedules of Broadway performers.
Sardi's in the movies: Please Don't Eat the
Daisies, with Doris Day (1960) Critic's Choice
(1963) - While this Bob Hope–Lucille Ball film was shot in Hollywood,
the Sardi's interior was authentically recreated with menus, plates,
and memorabilia sent from the restaurant. No Way to Treat a Lady
(1968) Made for Each Other
with Renée Taylor and Joseph Bologna (1971) The Fan (1981) The King of Comedy
(1983) - Small time comic Robert De Niro dines with talk-show star
Jerry Lewis. (see clip below) Includes an appearance by Sardi's
caricaturist Richard Baratz The Muppets Take Manhattan
(1984) Radio Days (1987) Naked in New York (1993) The Producers
(2005) - The restaurant's exterior was recreated for a street scene in
this screen adaptation of the 2001 Broadway musical.
Shop & Caffe’
342 East 11th Street (near 1st Avenue)
Opened in 1894 as a pool emporium and caffe’ by Antonio Veniero, it his
been continuously owned and operated by the Veniero family for over one
hundred fifteen years now.
As word of his baking skills spread, the demand for Veniero’s pastries
and cakes spread as well, winning him awards in Rome, Bolognia, and the
New York World’s Fair.
Today the Pastry shop and caffé has many of its original
details, including hand stamped metal ceilings, specially designed
etched glass doors, highly polished wood mirrors, and ornate marble
floors. Upon entering the pastry shop, you are greeted by a
wonderful display of traditional and regional Italian confections, a
vast variety of large and miniature pastries, and assortments of
hand-made Italian butter cookies. Take in the aroma of the freshly
baked biscotti (Italian biscuits) as well as the traditional cheese
cakes and specialty cakes. A full 40 feet of heaven for the dessert
On the Food Network program Road Tasted, where the hosts drive across
the United States looking for the best family-run food businesses,
Veniero’s was featured on the New York City episode.
Vincent's Clam Bar
119 Mott St
Mulberry St. 1902
32 Spring St.
This is the direct
decendent of the first pizza parlor in the country.